Integrating the Widescreen Mod into GemRB

Guest Micru

Since the code is available, would it be possible to integrate the Widescreen Mod's functionallity into Gemrb? It would be a step forward if GemRB could check the configured resolution, and that if it wouldn't match the desired resolution, then it would change the resources accordingly.

Congratulations on the constant work, the results are awesome!

i dont think there is a good way to do what you are asking. the mode source isnt standalone anyway; it requiers WeiDU. i dont know if WeiDU is open source or not but i know it doesnt run on all the platforms required by gemrb. certainly anything along these lines should be implemented as a separate plugin.

There probably isnt any reason you couldnt write a simple plugin that pipes the configured resolution to weiDU along with the configured game path and whatever else widescreen mod would need then block until that task is complete.

​this doesn't sound worth the effort IMO.

While possible, I agree it isn't a feasible approach. The idea to support almost any resolution is good, but I think there are better ways of solving it (extending the controls for scalability support, vector graphics support). Widescreen modifies a lot of files to work and work on a single resolution, while we can do a lot better. Some code in the engine then you mark the relevant controls that should stretch and have their moses repeated in the guiscripts.

Weidu is written in ocaml, so it is as portable.

Archived