bug with chill touch?

ooli

The obvious weapons created by spell (flame blade, shillelagh, enchanted weapon, spiritual hammer, and all the weapons from polymorph form) allow backstabbing. Wich is kind of weird for hammer and stuff, but nevermind.

All 1 charge weapon (grasping hand, priest cause damage type spell, etc) no backstabbing is allowed .Which is OK so far

BUT the level 1 mage spell "chill touch" create a "weapon" (CHILLT) for 10 round

The weapon does 1d8 "cold" damage. And those cold damage get the backstabbing bonus!

My question is, why cold damage are multiplied? While "electricity", "fire", "acid" damage from various legit weapon are not? The +1d4 cold damage from spectral brand does not seems to be multiplied either (as it appears after the backstab damage line).

Another weird thing with CHILLT is has a second line of damage:

BG2chilltBkSb.jpg

Is this some sort of bug? The CHILLT weapon created by SPWI117 seems totally comparable to other weapon that does not give backstab.

(For information, I have ToB installed with G3 Fix Pack and Unfinished Business mod... that's all)

Thinking about it, it may be the natural hand damage that get the backstab bonus. But this does not seems to happen with other hand weapon spell (ie: grasping hand or polymorph)

Never used chill touch myself, but a quick look into NI reveals that the weapon does 1d8 cold damage and 1d3 physical damage. So I guess that the physical damage is used in the backstab and the cold damage is applied normally (see the two damage entries listed in your screenshot).

Backstab seems a little odd. Looks like a decent weapon, though...if the mage can actually hit the enemies with it. Does it require a weapon prof, like dagger? I'm going to look that up, purely out of curiosity.

It drive me a bit crazy. I still cant find the 1d4 piercing damage (dice size =0 , # dice thrown =0 )

Finaly managed to have the +1d3 piercing damage to show somehow. Life will be easier now.

chilltNI.jpg

Another weird thing is the +12 Thac0 bonus. We have the +4 from backstab, the +4 from spell (as listed above) . But what the other +4? I made sure the character was a vanilla wizard/thief with 10 strength and no item equipped.

Aion: I tried to find an use to all those underrated spells. Chill touch give a cumulative -2 thaco for 5 round to target if it miss a save vs Spell. With the correct dualed/multi wizard/Warrior with Whirlwind, you may pullout a nice effect. Plus somehow, all the invoked item seems to give a greater thac0 bonus than listed .

Archived