Animal Companions

Demivrgvs

Really too many things to say, prepare for a huge wall of text. Let's start describing how they currently work for Beta 21 and how I expect them to evolve if everything goes fine. @Beta Testers, feel free to suggest anything or post eventual doubts. The creatures themselves are ready, but their features and their scripts in particular will surely need some work and many refinements.

Wild Empathy now offers two options, Charm Animal (available at level 1) and Animal Companion (True Rangers can only use it at level 3, the Beastmaster can use it at level 1). The companion can only be summoned once per day and I will add some sort of drawback in case you let the companion die (e.g. -x penalty to CON for 8 hours, aka a full rest). Speaking of which, Wild Empathy should probably get a third "unsummon" option too.

Right now the True Ranger automatically gets a Wolf, while the Beastmaster gets a Panther. I've also an almost-finished Bear companion (I thought to use it as a default pick for druids, but we will see). Not allowing a choice makes everything much easier to code, but I guess sooner or later I should allow such feature.

All my work is obviously heavily based upon PnP Animal Companion. In terms of stats the end result is almost identical to both PnP and what you can more easily see within NW2 tables. That being said, I've made few adjustments (e.g. animals do not get improved STR/DEX while leveling because within our AD&D world that would make them reach god-like stats) and I will surely take some liberty to make each animal special and appealing (e.g. the Panther gets a small backstab multiplier, the Bear a Rage-like ability).

Players feedback will be crucial to determine the actual performance of these beasts and eventual changes to balance them. On a side note, if there's any good coder around who'd like to mess with the scripts he would be welcome as I'm pretty mediocre when it comes to handle that.

@Salk, if you're reading this, I still have similar plans for Familiars, but they are hugely more painful to both code and balance. :(

Animal Companion spell
When summoned by a level 1 character (e.g. a Beastmaster) the companion starts with just his 1HD base stats (note that base AC does not include DEX bonus). At level 3 and every other 3 caster levels the beast receives additional 2HD, up to 13HD at 18th caster level. Each time they do so they also get +2 bonus to their base AC.

3HD: gains special ability (e.g Wolf's Trip, Panther 2x backstab, Bear's Rage)
5HD: gains Devotion (immunity to charm effects, +2 to saves vs. spell)
7HD: gains +1/2 apr (I've split 3E Multiattack into two upgrades AD&D style)
9HD: gains ... (wolf could get Evasion, Panther a 3x backstab or Rake effect, Bear could get Hardiness-like feat, etc.)
11HD: gains ...
13HD: gains +1/2 apr

Wolf
STR 14, DEX 16, CON 15, INT 6, WIS 12, CHA 6; Base AC 8, AL Neutral
CLASS: "ranger", gets +1 thac0 and +8hp per every additional HD
SAVES: good vs. breath&polymorph, average vs. death, bad vs. spells&wands
1 Attack Per Round, 1d6 Piercing Damage (non-magical)
SPECIALS: Trip

Note: should the wolf get a small hide chance or not?

Panther
STR 17, DEX 19, CON 16, INT 6, WIS 12, CHA 6; Base AC 8, AL Neutral
SPECIALS: can use stealth & backstab

Note: right now the Panther is pretty much a straight "upgrade" over the Wolf because the initial plan is/was to make Beastmaster's companion slightly stronger.

Bear
STR 17, DEX 14, CON 17, INT 6, WIS 12, CHA 6; Base AC 8, AL Neutral
CLASS: "fighter", gets +1 thac0 and +10hp per every additional HD
SAVES: good vs. death&polymorph, average vs. breath, bad vs. spells&wands
1 Attack Per Round, 1d8 Slashing Damage (non-magical)
SPECIALS: can use Animal Rage

3HD:
You do understand that that means nothing by itself ? And the STR CON DEX etc do not either as you might as well put a 9 to the figure and make the character a little better if that matters at all. I suggest that you actually give the relative stats, attack power(hit dice +bonus from the derived stats), hit points, Thac0, AC, apr, saves etc. at the summoner level base, so the player doesn't need to figure those things out.

So instead of this mess:

Wolf

STR 14, DEX 16, CON 15, INT 6, WIS 12, CHA 6; Base AC 8, AL Neutral

SPECIALS: Trip

You give this mess:
Player level 3; Wolf: 10 Hit Points, Thac0: 19, Melee strike: 1d6+1 Piercing, AC: 6, .... etc what ever those things will ever be.

Player level 6; Wolf: 20 Hit Points, Thac0 18 AC: 6 ...

I would actually make the ability to be a kit exclusive 1 level spell to be cast-able from the characters spell book, as you can give it as much info as you wish at the spell description in the spell book, and you only to give the kit description the acknowledgement of the animal companion:
Advantages:

- Wolf Companion 1 level spell gained at level 9

Similar like the original stalker kits spells... But what ever.

Sounds nice. Level 9/11 upgrade - immune to Death Spell? Be that as it may, load them up in the new beta.

Guess I'm finally gona play a beastmaster. :)

As for wolf, I'd prefer Yarpen's suggestion (scent) and allow him to detect invisible creatures in a (not so) small radius rather then stealth.

I hope animals get "magic" claws later on.

P.S.

Check if Archer's Called Shot displays "Deathless Frenzy" when used....it does on my install.

Sounds nice. Level 9/11 upgrade - immune to Death Spell?
Actually I was giving this for granted from the beginning.

Be that as it may, load them up in the new beta.

Guess I'm finally gonna play a beastmaster. :)

Sorry, it's taking an eternity because of the sheer amount of files but I should finish today. Then I only need to package a bunch of Beastmaster-only spells. ;)

As for wolf, I'd prefer Yarpen's suggestion (scent) and allow him to detect invisible creatures in a (not so) small radius rather then stealth.
I probably agree even though it kinda overlaps with Ranger's Tracking.

I hope animals get "magic" claws later on.
This is something worth discussing indeed. If anything, the eventual ToB/epic last upgrade should grant that to avoid them becoming almost useless, but I'm actually tempted to make them +1 for BG2. Let's say this is one of those things where playtesting is crucial.

The only reason this might not be 100% mandatory is because I planned to implement PnP spell (Greater) Magic Fang within SR as an actual +1 enchantment bonus rather than a Bless-like bonus, though I admit the former is way more complicated to code.

Check if Archer's Called Shot displays "Deathless Frenzy" when used....it does on my install.
Fixed, the english.tra file listed both CS and Deathless Frenzy as @134 while the latter should have been @135.
immune to Death Spell?
Actually I was giving this for granted from the beginning.

Great.

Sorry, it's taking an eternity because of the sheer amount of files but I should finish today. Then I only need to package a bunch of Beastmaster-only spells. ;)

Nvm, I was kinda hoping for a delay so I can actually play the damn game. :D But don't delay on this account, I'll be happy to try these animals.

I'm actually tempted to make them +1 for BG2.

I was thinking +1 for BG1, +2 BG2, +3 ToB. Too high? Or keep it +1 BG2, +2 ToB.....there are very few enemies immune to +2 anyway.

Removing current Tracking from Ranger's kit and moving it into wolf wouldn't be that bad. That would allow you to pump up Quarry and maybe provide Ranger with some other cool thingies.

Panther could have semi-Quarry ability that after some preparation grants it bonus to attack and backstab modifier. That'd emulate leap.

Bear... my proposition instead of resistances would be putting some nasty regeneration on it.

Also, interesting thing coming from Justifier kit from Complete Ranger Handbook:

Coordinated Attack: The Justifier can use this ability, in conjunction with a trained animal follower, to inflict maximum damage on an opponent. The animal follower must have been trained to attack on command (see the Training Followers rules in Chapter 3). To attempt a coordinated attack, the Justifier and the animal both make a single attack on the same enemy in the same round (even if one or both are normally allowed multiple attacks; the animal will use its most damaging attack). If either roll misses, then that attacker automatically loses initiative in the next round. If both rolls hit, each attack causes twice the normal amount of damage. A coordinated attack involves only one follower. A coordinated attack may be attempted at any time during a combat, but only once against any particular opponent during an encounter.

I think that would be kinda' possible to be done within BG2 with some Protection from Spell sheningans. It would also suggest making Quarry granting bonuses to Ranger and his Companion only. But meh, that's impossibru.

Still, the whole thing looks incredible.

Archer

What about removing that brutal +1 bonus to ThaC0/Damage per 4 level and shifting Archer's power into other places like already mentioned Falcon? I mean, this guy is still supposed to be a ranger not a fighter. So, fact that he can achieve GrandMastery in Bows should be enough for him in terms of raw attack power (still not sure why he can't achieve grandmastery in xBows).

Few ideas that seem reasonable for Falcon powers:

- marking an opponent (I guess Quarry on random opponents, unlike standard Quarry it changes more often but in random way)

- scouting (reproducing Farsight, only in outdoors)

Archived