Adding More Inventory Slots

Galactygon

H0XzzUE.png

"darkness, I see darkness!!"

I mean

yo, beamdog! what about adding a brand new third inventory row, eh?? just above the first. I know its dark but pretty sure you can see it! what about actually changing somethig and even for the better this time? ;FF

Original IWD2 team was able to do something like that in the year 2002. pretty sure you can borrow the code ten years later, har har....

That would require changing the .cre format to allow for more item slots. IWD2 uses .cre v2.2, while the EE games have so far expanded on .cre v1

yo, beamdog! what about adding a brand new third inventory row, eh?? just above the first. I know its dark but pretty sure you can see it! what about actually changing somethig and even for the better this time? ;FF

Original IWD2 team was able to do something like that in the year 2002. pretty sure you can borrow the code ten years later, har har....

That would require changing the .cre format to allow for more item slots. IWD2 uses .cre v2.2, while the EE games have so far expanded on .cre v1

Well, technically nope, I don't think so. See the counter for how many items the character has is not limited to an amount, as it's a whole word variable...

0x02c0 4 (dword) Count of Items

... aka at least 320000 items can be placed. PS, going past 330000 will break the functionality though... as seen when you make the bag of holding bottomless, the bottom really actually falls off, and the items disappear. But that restriction is not really related to this.

The stored items are handled in the .CHR file and BGMain.exe's... the v2 .CHR is either lacking or something else as Near Infinity shows the items past the quick items slots.

Regardless, it would be easy to do.

That's changing the file format and consequentially breaking compatibility with all the mods that add/patch actors.

Sorry, but how do you figure that ? As said, we are not changing the .cre file !

Like I said above, it's the .CHR file ... and I am sure that the new game can assume that the .chr files without anything in the .cre's spots, especially as they have smaller feature association(the amount of possible items) would just need a patch and be done with it... as you can do that. Just read the file version flag, and adapt the file. As that's how the SoA read the exported v1 .chr files from BG1 and made them to be playable in the game as v2.0's.

See, I am pretty sure lynx might have looked at the associated files as .. he was going to change the inventory system in gemrp...

The .chr doesn't even touch inventory slots. It just encloses a .cre :)

Did you do your study on this matter at all ? AKA look at the .chr file under Near Infinity ?

Cause here it is all, the vanilla exported BG2 .chr file:

2saecur.jpg

And what do we have under the offset 460 h ? As according to IESDP's .chr reference, there should nothing, but there is.

Yes, I realize this this is a rather short iteration from the known facts, but I believe it to be correct with the given on sets. aka the BG2 can convert the exported BG1 character file(which is a .CHR), to a BG2 .CHR in engine and you get your exported items with you etc.

See, I did my research. ... ah, but they are in the .cre file as well... ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ shame.

We avoided changing the .cre format so far. Adding more inventory slots would break/affect every existing tool (including weidu).

Jarno: as Mike1072 correctly wrote, the fields you point at in the .chr file are .cre fields.

Obviously, your NI would break spectacularly if the inventory size changed.

Btw, GemRB is already configurable to have a different inventory setup, but this doesn't mean that the tools used for modding wouldn't be all broken by this.

Theoretically, it is possible for tools to use the same setup GemRB uses to describe the inventory. (This would be my solution to the problem, anyway).

Archived