Photo

Unshey's girdle quest

8 replies to this topic

#1 ithildurnew

ithildurnew
  • Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:30 PM

Randomizer's version of the quest isn't playing nice in my install, apparently not mixing well with BG1UB's tweaking of the quest. Seems like the problem is that Randomizer modifies unshey.dlg to add an additional state which is a modified (so she's not asking for girdle of piercing but her special family girdle) copy of her initial dialog bit to introduce the quest, but it's missing the Action to set global UBHelpUnshey to 1. Subsequently none of her dialog after the initial conversation fires, since they all look for this global if BG1UB component 19 is installed.

Spoiler

Edited by ithildurnew, 18 January 2016 - 10:49 PM.

#2 agb1

agb1
  • Modders
  • 410 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 02:09 AM

This problem with Unshey was reported recently by several other players but we did not know the cause. Thanks for your investigation, Ithildur.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#3 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modders
  • 1087 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:38 AM

I appreciate the report. BG1UB didn't start modding Unshey until very recently and the version you are using is a beta one. I  don't think it is unreasonable for me to not be aware of this issue. Will fix.

#4 ithildurnew

ithildurnew
  • Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for making me cry when I realized there would be no girdle of piercing early game for a no reload attempt.  :)

I was a little surprised to see this (vaguely remember seeing it once or twice in previous runs but I don't think BG1UB's tweaks to Unshey was in back then) after selecting the option to not randomize items used by mods. BG1UB's Unshey reward is probably overpowered so taking that out isn't necessarily a bad move, but removing that AND the girdle of piercing both is a pretty big shift...

Edited by ithildurnew, 19 January 2016 - 11:57 AM.

#5 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modders
  • 1087 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:43 PM

If you don't mind me asking, what BG1UB Unshey reward? Before Sep 2015, BG1UB hasn't touched Unshey in any manner and the new change doesn't affect this aspect of the quest at all. You still get the vanilla amount of XP for losing access to the girdle (lowered by half by Item Randomiser since you no longer have to choose between XP and a useful item). BG1UB just enables some cut content concerning the girdle of gender bending. (For the record, I don't consider the girdle of piercing used by BG1UB, even now, because the nature of the girdle is completely immaterial to the progress and formulation of the quest. Swapping in a different girdle requires no more than than changing its name in Unshey's dialogue. By contrast and the same standards, the girdle of gender bending is used by BG1UB, because the nature of the item matters.)

Edited by Wisp, 19 January 2016 - 12:43 PM.

#6 ithildurnew

ithildurnew
  • Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:43 PM

BG!UB apparently offers a path in the conversation where under the right circumstances, Unshey gives you a different book than the one she initially offered.

Spoiler

Going after an ogre at the earliest stages of the game is a risky venture, but that kind of reward for early stage game is probably way too generous, more in the spirit of the twinkmods of early days of BG2 modding than something like Unfinished Business imo. Regardless, Randomizer seems to have (intentionally or not) removed incrementing the corresponding Global which could open up this option.

Edited by ithildurnew, 19 January 2016 - 03:49 PM.

#7 AstroBryGuy

AstroBryGuy

Mod Tinker

• Gibberlings
  • 532 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:35 PM

Sorry if the Unshey dialog caused an issue with Item Randomizer. I can re-work the code to only use the variable when the quest is done.

As for the item, the name of the book "High Cleric Unshey's Practical Guide to Bodily Health" is from the original unused dialog state. BOOK03, the "Manual of Bodily Health", seemed like a good match. But, yeah, that's OP, I can make it just a plain book.

EDIT: @ithildurnew, @wisp, @agb1 - I've got a fix at https://github.com/A...hive/master.zip. Let me know if it is fully-compatible with Item Randomiser (also, mundane "reward" for putting on the Belt of Gender Bending).

Edited by AstroBryGuy, 21 January 2016 - 01:41 PM.

#8 ithildurnew

ithildurnew
  • Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:34 PM

It's subjective, obviously, whether the item is OP or not. I initially fixed the dlg file to increment the global so the conversation did become available/I was able to get the tome.

But then I thought about the fact these kind of tomes in the vanilla game require quite a bit of adventuring to get near, and the fact Radomizer (I think) considers them the highest tier treasure (or at least very high tier), which I agree with in principle; permanent stat boost items in both 2e and 3e are extremely rare and expensive. So ... I removed the extra point of CON I got from the book, haha. There should be another one somewhere along the way (if Randomizer hasn't tucked it away somewhere too inaccessible) to look forward to in later stages of the game.

Edited by ithildurnew, 21 January 2016 - 10:36 PM.

#9 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modders
  • 1087 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:09 PM

I stand corrected on the reward issue.

The next version will make its changes in a more compatible manner in general, and with compatibility with BG1UB in particular.

EDIT: @ithildurnew, @wisp, @agb1 - I've got a fix at https://github.com/A...hive/master.zip. Let me know if it is fully-compatible with Item Randomiser (also, mundane "reward" for putting on the Belt of Gender Bending).

It looks solid. Randomiser still needed a compatibility fix because it was shaving off the actions to set UBHelpUnshey to 2, but that's fixed now.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users