small bugs in SR v4beta13

Prof Errata

And the first day of winter gives us?

Another deadline, at best.

Maybe not. ;)

One can always hope... ;)

By the way, tell me if you want to include the fix for the Inquisitor's Dispel Magic (I reported it missing correct dispel at low levels in 2015).

There is no scroll of Summon Fiend and Gate in my game files. I search for it in Nearinfinity and no results. ???

The spells are there and they are being cast by the enemy and it is learnable by sorcerers. Incompatibility between SCS and SR? The player sorcerer version of Summon Fiend casts the SR Glabrezu while the AI's version casts the SCS(?) Cornugon.

Edit: scrl9b.itm, formerly Summon Fiend is now MSVIII

scrl9n.itm, formerly Gate is now MSIX

Oh, and scrl9b has missing description.

-Dimension Jump says spells cast upon the caster will fail. This unfortunately isn't true for AoE spells who still follow the caster around. Personal spells perhaps too, haven't tried. This was the one big thing about the original Dimension Door which I liked.

Edit: scrl9b.itm, formerly Summon Fiend is now MSVIII

scrl9n.itm, formerly Gate is now MSIX

I see this is on purpose, as it is noted in main_component.tpa

So, is it on purpose that only the AI and player sorcerers can cast the spells? If yes why?

Sorry I should have documented this. I've done that on purpose to "force" the use of MSVIII and MSIX because I needed feedback on those summons.

That being said, I do thought about the possibility of doing one of the following things:

1) bring back fiend scrolls but only in very limited sources (e.g. Gate might be found only as a reward for giving the Silver Dragon eggs to the Lesser Demon Lord). I like that this would establish MS spells as the standard conjurer spells rather than unleashing unstable fiends even if you are not an evil bastard. I don't like that sorcerers would have an easiest access to them, but it's probably not a big deal.

2) Turn Cacofiend and Gate into HLAs as evil counterparts of Devas and Planetars. This is a bit more problematic though, and I fear it starts to go into KR territory rather than SR.

Btw, speaking of MSIX it looks like everyone is asking me to replace Basilisks with something else...I'll see what I can do.

1) bring back fiend scrolls but only in very limited sources (e.g. Gate might be found only as a reward for giving the Silver Dragon eggs to the Lesser Demon Lord). I like that this would establish MS spells as the standard conjurer spells rather than unleashing unstable fiends even if you are not an evil bastard. I don't like that sorcerers would have an easiest access to them,

Just add them to hidespl.2da. Now sorcerers only get the MS spells and mages FINALLY get a teensy-tiny little edge against stupid cheesy sorcerers.

2) Turn Cacofiend and Gate into HLAs as evil counterparts of Devas and Planetars. This is a bit more problematic though, and I fear it starts to go into KR territory rather than SR.

YES. Or make Cacofiend a level-8 findable-scroll-only, as above, and make Gate an HLA.

I don't see that you need to draw such a hard line between SR and KR. Making a spell into a 10th-level/quest spell seems perfectly appropriate in a spell mod, vs. a class mod.

EDIT - or eliminate MS9 and put Cacofiend in its place (the Conjurer "graduates" from summoning regular to extraplanar creatures at the apex of his art) and then have Gate as a 10th-level HLA.

All lichs are invisible to fiends. I don't think fiends deserve a 9th/HLA spot as long as this isn't fixed. It's hard-coded isn't it?

Some bugs:

- There are still Protection from Electricity scrolls in stores

- (AoE spells irregularly do nothing. I can't put my finger on it.)

- Summoned Glabrezus attack Death Knights, which don't defend themselves. There is no war between them as Death Knights are undead, right?

- Spell Trap does not protect from Demilich Howl. The abilities of Mephits are actually not spell like abilities RAW AD&D2e, but Demilich Howl is written as "acts as a Death Ray" and Death Ray is "as a Death spell". I.e. it is a spell like ability and should be stopped by Spell Trap and Greater Spell Deflection.

- Life Drain does not transfer the HP. The spell from the Rod of Lordly Might works correctly but the Wizard spell does not.

I don't know if that was already reported but seems (at least in my setup) that Minor Spell Deflection is somewhat weird.

I have ~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ #0 #55 // Spell Deflection blocks AoE spells: v4 Beta 13 installed. According to ingame spell description MSD still shouldn't protect against AOE spells that are not centered directly upon the wizard (such as Fireball), or vs stationary area effect spells (such as Cloudkill and Stinking Cloud) but in my case it protects vs Stinking Cloud and is drained by the Cloud in 3 rounds (6 spell levels) but not protect against Fireball:

post-7046-0-35555000-1485417870_thumb.jpg

post-7046-0-21855900-1485417871_thumb.jpg

post-7046-0-11444000-1485417872_thumb.jpg

post-7046-0-82120900-1485418834_thumb.jpg

WeiDU:

WeiDU.log

I don't know if that was already reported but seems (at least in my setup) that Minor Spell Deflection is somewhat weird.

I have ~SPELL_REV/SETUP-SPELL_REV.TP2~ #0 #55 // Spell Deflection blocks AoE spells: v4 Beta 13 installed. According to ingame spell description MSD still shouldn't protect against AOE spells that are not centered directly upon the wizard (such as Fireball), or vs stationary area effect spells (such as Cloudkill and Stinking Cloud) but in my case it protects vs Stinking Cloud and is drained by the Cloud in 3 rounds (6 spell levels) but not protect against Fireball:

Description of Deflections is wrong. I should be modified accordingly provided AoE tweak is installed.

It should be protecting you from fireball. The problem is that this component works so that it modifies AoE spells, not the deflection itself. Therefore, all spells must be manually added to the code.

Afaik (and I may be wrong here, and can't check right now) vanilla game Wand of Fire (I'm assuming you're using the wand to cast fireball) doesn't really cast fireball spell - it simply mimicks it's effects. Pretty much all wands work that way.

On SR side best way to deal with this issue would be to make wands a part of SR rather than Item Revisions. I've included IR wands in the code (I hope I got them all); but not vanilla wands.

The easiest way on your side to fix this is to make the wand cast "real" fireball spell (spwi3***).

There are two alternate solutions - one is to make all wands work as wizard spells - bad thing is that using them in BG2 attracts Cowlies (frankly, I find that more of a fix than a bad thing). One more plus on this is consistency - why would a fireball cast via wand require a wand save while the one you cast from spellbook require a breath save?

The other one is to change wands (at least those that cast spells like fireball/cloudkill/sleep) to something else - Wand of fire doesn't need to cast fireball for example- it can easilly be made to cast Aganazar's + Burning hands instead, or even a custom spell.This would have a neat effect of making some BG1 encounters slightly less trivial and would maybe make someone actually memorize this spell. :D

If you need some help with tweaking the wand(s), I can make a sort of "mini mod" that would tweak them to work properly when it comes to deflections.

P.S.

For low-level cloud-type spells - these generally deplete any Deflection spell really quickly. What you want to use is some other means of protection, so deflection levels stay.

(Minor) globe will stop Web + Stink cloud completely. Free action will also nullify Webs. Pro Fire will stop Fireballs from depleting deflection etc.

@kreso: Thank you, my friend! You are most helpful!

Indeed, I've used a Wand to cast a Fireball but sadly I'm not that skilled in modding to make it cast a real spell. If you'll have a spare time to make this mini-mod, I'll be most grateful. For some reason there are both Tutu and BG2 versions of wands in my current Tutu game (I've found wand07.itm (BG2 wand of lightning) on some xvart in Gnolls Stronghold while all others I have are tutu wands - _wand**.itm).

And about (M)GoI, Free Action etc. yes, I'm already aware of their behaviour in conjunction with Spell Deflections after reading this topic (NWN-style Spell Deflection). I just don't have those spells in my current run (Randomizer is pretty stingy ... ) so MSD is my only tool for now.

there is a compatibility issue with EET. This code from main_component.tpa:

COPY ~spell_rev\spwi1##\spwi123.spl~     ~override~  // Find Familiar
  SAY NAME1 @439    SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @440

should be changed to:

ACTION_IF NOT GAME_IS ~eet~ BEGIN
  COPY ~spell_rev\spwi1##\spwi123.spl~     ~override~  // Find Familiar
    SAY NAME1 @439    SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC @440
END

overwriting the file completely breaks EET system that uses BG1 version of Familiars during BG1 and SoD portion of the game via scripted implementation rather than using find familiar opcode.

Description of Deflections is wrong. I should be modified accordingly provided AoE tweak is installed.

It should be protecting you from fireball. The problem is that this component works so that it modifies AoE spells, not the deflection itself. Therefore, all spells must be manually added to the code.

Afaik (and I may be wrong here, and can't check right now) vanilla game Wand of Fire (I'm assuming you're using the wand to cast fireball) doesn't really cast fireball spell - it simply mimicks it's effects. Pretty much all wands work that way.

On SR side best way to deal with this issue would be to make wands a part of SR rather than Item Revisions. I've included IR wands in the code (I hope I got them all); but not vanilla wands.

The easiest way on your side to fix this is to make the wand cast "real" fireball spell (spwi3***).

There are two alternate solutions - one is to make all wands work as wizard spells - bad thing is that using them in BG2 attracts Cowlies (frankly, I find that more of a fix than a bad thing). One more plus on this is consistency - why would a fireball cast via wand require a wand save while the one you cast from spellbook require a breath save?

The other one is to change wands (at least those that cast spells like fireball/cloudkill/sleep) to something else - Wand of fire doesn't need to cast fireball for example- it can easilly be made to cast Aganazar's + Burning hands instead, or even a custom spell.This would have a neat effect of making some BG1 encounters slightly less trivial and would maybe make someone actually memorize this spell. :D

If you need some help with tweaking the wand(s), I can make a sort of "mini mod" that would tweak them to work properly when it comes to deflections.

P.S.

For low-level cloud-type spells - these generally deplete any Deflection spell really quickly. What you want to use is some other means of protection, so deflection levels stay.

(Minor) globe will stop Web + Stink cloud completely. Free action will also nullify Webs. Pro Fire will stop Fireballs from depleting deflection etc.

What if you created copies of the Fireball spell (and modified them a bit) to be used only with the Wand and added that one as well to the code? That would fix this, and prevent changing the Wand of Fire's actual behaviour.

Archived