Source Code for Warlords Battlecry 3

Guest St. Povis

Guest St. Povis

Hi,

I just wanted to let anyone who might be interested know that Mr. Steve Fawkner has allowed us to distribute Source Code for the Warlords Battlecry 3 game to anyone who might be interested. As of the moment, the team is working on a number of modifications for the WBC3 system, and, we are beginning a discussion about trying to modify some 'hybrid' versions of WBC3 & BG/IWD. It is a free project, althouhg Mr. Fawkner asks that any who would like the Source Code for Warlords Battlecry 3 sign's an NDA (Non-Disclosure-Agreement) for the code.

Knowing that internet forms upset a lot of people, let me say in advance that there is no money involved, nor any requests for it. If you do choose to sign up, please contact me, St. Povis, at the Battlefield. We're re-opening a new private forum for Modders, Only, and, hopefully, around Winter, we will have produced our third unofficial patch for WBC3, including a new 'Data Pak' technology, which allows for people to import their own multiplayer versions of the game through the Battlefield Forums, through an enhanced network code and checksum sytem.

That said, if you're interested, please follow this link to the Battlefield, if you are interested, and begin your discussions. Anyone interested in obtaining the Source Code for any of the Patches should Contact the Forum Leaders Maestorak or Jodwin. Anyone interested in the pristine Code for the official patch (v1.03) should contact me,

St.Povis@yahoo.com

Thanks for reading, and best regards! Your forum is great and full of fantastic stuff!

(our own forum is just re-emerging from a dry spell.)

Sincerely,

Povis

I may be interested - what language is the source?

Hi Igi, :)

Its in C++, but, there are some developments in the way of editors written in Delphi/Pascal, and a few advances from one of the more dedicated coders in C#. There are really a lot more forks right now than developments, but there are a few completed patches. If it suffers most from anything, though, its art suppport. We really really need art support for one of the more active coders, too. There's a lot of rendering issues and, a lot of the coders working on it at present have found a lot of frustration (but, hey, with 16 races to deal with, I'd imagine most coders would figure that out in advance.)

In any case, its definitely a challenging project, but we're always looking for help, both public and private. Steve's pretty open minded about the project, at large, though, just so long as we don't go slapping his Source Code all over the place.

Feel free to write me anytime, Igi, or just check in at the Battlefield. Right now, there's a bit of a 'competitive' atmosphere about a particular forum leader, but, there's no need to cow to anyone over there. If you like, I'll give you a copy of the old NDA Faq, or else mail one to you. Let me know what you think.

Kind Regards,

Povis

Sure, I'd be interested.

I doubt I'll be active on the battleground forum - everyone these is very Warlord centric, and I've never played (or heard of) the game at all! Still, it would be interested, and I might be able to contribute something.

If you could PM me the NDA FAQ or something, that would be great.

Guest Guest
Sure, I'd be interested.

I doubt I'll be active on the battleground forum - everyone these is very Warlord centric, and I've never played (or heard of) the game at all! Still, it would be interested, and I might be able to contribute something.

If you could PM me the NDA FAQ or something, that would be great.

You bet, Igi. :)

No worries about activity or inactivity. I can sympathize with you about the 'warlords centric' atmosphere. I've PM'd you the FAQ. Its a little on the sloppy and long winded side, but, I wrote it, originally with a younger 'maturity level, if you will, in mind, when we were first starting. In any case, it managed to get us upwards of 11 coders at one time, so, it did its job, I guess. I just want to warn you in advance, in case it sounds like I mean to insult anyone's intelligence or anything.

As far as the NDA goes, most of it is negotiable, the only thing I'll ever really insist on is the signature. Also, if you do agree, I'm still waiting on my 'tuned up' machine between moving and othersuch, so, it might take me awhile to get things going again.

Lastly, there are some...possessive...people in the Battlefield, about the code, etc. Don't let any of them put you off. Most of them are actually pretty decent people, but, for one reason or another, might be a touch 'edgy' about certain issues. I don't want to sound condescending at all, but, in all fairness, I've had more than my fair share of troublesome types as a forum Moderator in the past. Whatever you do with it, don't let anyone tell you that you need to answer to them.

Best,

Jason

Erratum:

About the machine:

The Source Code is on the machine I mentioned, as well as all of the files I have regarding NDA's. (Including the NDA itself.) That's what I meant by 'getting things going.' (I'm a little swamped between life and the project, & start to get a bit :) -ish, after awhile)

Thanks to those who have expressed an interest in the Modding Project. There are some more new developments at the Battlefield (links provided above), and Maestorak would like to ask for a formal introduction from any who might like to join on the Battlefield.

Thanks also to the kind operators of these forums for allowing us to post and recruit here.

Kind Regards,

St. Povis

Guest Guest_St. Povis_*
Back from Vacation if you want to give me a buzz! I think I've got a reasonable solution to our conundrums..

Just to let people know, there are openings for new 'Lead/Chief" Programmers with the WBC3 Modding Project. There is also a new WBC2 Project, being led by a forum member over at The Battlefield by the handle of MoEDarklord. Hopefully, it will help to bridge the gap between the two games' various common complaints. Anyone with a knowledge of C and/or C++ might also be interested in picking up some of the work done by one of our senior members, Dal Gurak, who has been working on the Spell system for 3.

Other points of interest include some fantastic new renders for units, races, and Heroes, a stronger Art Forum support, and the loss of our disgruntled ex-lead coder, Jodwin, bless his heart.

The community could really benefit from some strong coders and artists, so, if you've got the time and/or the talent for anim8r, blender, 3dsmax, or you're interested in helping to finish tidying the code base to iron out some of those hard code issues that have been plaguing us, we could use your help.

Last, I am looking for people capable of porting over some of the projectil systems and .Bams from the Infinity Engine, over to WBC2&3. We have some new guidelines for people trying to compile the code, as well, as, apparently, there have been problems for new coders, in the past.

All that said, thanks again to Cam, Igi, and others!

Kind Regards,

Jason Davis

aka

St. Povis the Insane

Archived