Mod Compatibility List for EET

willardthor, let's see.

First of all never continue installation if you encounter any error after installing some mod. As mentioned in first post:

the compatibility list does not imply that the other modifications mentioned are compatible with each other. Make sure you understand the specific requirements of each modification by looking at their readmes before you go into hardcore mixing and matching.

If BG:EE mods that claims to be compatible with BG:EE prints error than it means they are either not compatible with each other / require different installation order or are not yet compatible with patch 2.x. It's unrelated to EET since the error occurs on vanilla game, so in such case you should look for a solution directly from mod author (but first check the readme file and check out dedicated forum topics - maybe someone already reported such error before)

I recall installing them in a fairly linear order according to this)

that's not a correct install order which may be the reason why you encountered such errors. Again quote from the first post in this topic:

This list, sorted in alphabetical order

(...)

- if you want to play with mods and don't use Big World Setup tool, it is highly recommended to check out the Big World Project installation PDF file for a reference of the installation order and compatibility between mods. Just keep in mind that in EET game some BG1 mods need to be installed on BG:EE previous to installing EET on BG2:EE.

(I wanted to install "T'was a slow boat from Kara'Tur", but I had difficulties extracting the archive)

I don't have such problem with latest winrar and 7zip. Try to update the program you use to extract files

"Setup-EET.exe", <-- I GOT ERRORS

liekly caused by the errors encountered during BG:EE mods installation. Can't really check what exactly happen since you uploaded wrong file - it should have been setup-eet_core.debug

Although as mentioned there is no point installing further if you encountered any errors on BG:EE.

Somewhere along the way, I appear to have installed a "BG2 FixPack". <-- I GOT ERRORS

this is a mod for vanilla BG2. It's not compatible with Enhanced Edition games at all. In fact it would mess up the game if it can be installed (not sure if there are GAME_IS checks there)

After running Setup-EET_end.exe, I installed the following (EET-compatible) mods.

Quotes from the readme:

After the core component is installed, your game folder should then contain additional setup-EET_end.exe file, which is REQUIRED to be installed AFTER ALL OTHER MODS (at least after any mod that modifies dialogues, so for example EET Tweaks can be installed later, but to be sure always try to keep it at the end of your installation order, even if other readme files says otherwise).

Once the component is installed and you decide to integrate more mods you can safely uninstall it by running setup-EET_end.exe and than install it again once you are satisfied with your mod selection. No problems with reinstalling it too.

What should be the general install order?

The general mod install order looks like this:

1. Mods installed on BG:EE
  2. Initialise EET (setup-EET) installed on BG2:EE
  3. Mods with native EET support installed on top of EET
  4. Finalise EET (setup-EET_end) ends the whole EET installation

You can make an exception for GUI mods (including setup-EET_gui) and install them at the very end, even after setup-EET_end.

In other words you can delete whole installation since there are too many mistakes to fix it :( I'd suggest waiting for Big Word Setup tool (if you're a windows user) to be updated to work with EET before trying it again (not sure when it will be available though). This way you will be able to select all mods that interest you from a list and the tool will download, fix known bugs and install them in correct order.

Edited by K4thos
that's not a correct install order which may be the reason why you encountered such errors. Again quote from the first post in this topic:

There are some dependencies between BGEE mods.

I have found this

install order to be a working one.

(Note that it contains wedges mod for trial - however this mod caused occasional CtDs because it is german only and uses umlaut and symbols that my install cannot handle - so use that one with caution)

There are some dependencies between BGEE mods.

I have found this

attachicon.gifWeiDU.log

install order to be a working one.

Thank you for this. Based on 1) your WeiDU.log file, 2) K4thos' comments, and 3) the following "standard mod order" for BG2 I found somewhere on the web (is this correct?):

1. item mods
  2. quest mods
  3. NPC mods
  4. spell mods
  5. kit mods
  6. tweak mods
  7. BG2Tweaks
  8. Might and Guile
  9. Refinements
  10. SCS
  11. aTweaks

I have, upon consulting the "BiG World" PDF, prepared the following install order. I'll report back how it goes (if any of you know it will fail, feel free to make a peep)

install order

Mod type (adds/modifies):

Q : Quests
N : NPCs
D : D&D Rules (spells, kits, ...)
E : Engine "tweaks"
R : Resources (portraits, music, ...)

Mods:

BG1 Unfinished Business		Q (install early; it won't know how to patch things other mods have patched (e.g. BG1NPC))
Baldur's Gate Mini Quests [...]	Q (install before NPCs, so their scripted dialogs for these quests will work)
Dark Horizons BG:EE		Q (install before NPCs, so their scripted dialogs for these quests will work)
Drizzt Saga			Q
The Stone of Askavar		Q
T'was a Slow Boat from Kara-Tur Q
Baldur's Gate Romantic Enc[...] Q
BG1 NPC Project Music Pack	R 
BG1 NPC Project			N (overwrites "BG1 Unfinished Business" diary change)
Coran's BG Extended Friend[...] N
Valerie				N (must be installed BEFORE Isra due to crossmod content)
Isra				N (must be installed AFTER  Valerie and Gavin due to crossmod content)
Ajantis BG1 Expansion		N no conflicts
Aerie for BG:EE			N no conflicts? (unlisted in PDF)
Sirene NPC			N no conflicts? (unlisted in PDF)
Neera Banters			N no conflicts? (unlisted in PDF)
Neera Expansion			N no conflicts? (unlisted in PDF)
BG:EE Classic Movies		R no conflicts? (unlisted in PDF)

willardthor, let's see.

First of all never continue installation if you encounter any error after installing some mod.

Thank you for your reply.

Yeah, I didn't notice the errors until after I started analyzing the .DEBUG files.

Question 1. If a mod fails to install, do I need to take my whole game directory and trash it, or will the installer only finalize the installation if no errors occur? I ask because, while using an installer to remove a mod seems to work pretty well, in the case where a bunch of parse errors occurred during installation, they also occurred during uninstallation, so I don't know if the installer actually installed anything, and if it did, whether the uninstaller removed it again.

I recall installing them in a fairly linear order according to this)

that's not a correct install order which may be the reason why you encountered such errors.

It turns out the install order I wrote in my original message was not the install order I actually used (I have updated my messsage to reflect this); I included my WeiDU.log file which lists my actual install order. I do recall going through "BiG World" PDF (for some of the mods at least) to check for conflicts. But I got tired of doing so near the end, and I didn't notice the errors when they occurred.

(I wanted to install "T'was a slow boat from Kara'Tur", but I had difficulties extracting the archive)

I don't have such problem with latest winrar and 7zip. Try to update the program you use to extract files

Windows 10 complained about the file being infected with malware. I found that believable since it is hosted on a very dodgy website. However, I downloaded it on my Linux-in-a-virtual-box, and it extracted just fine with unrar. So now I have it.

"Setup-EET.exe", <-- I GOT ERRORS

liekly caused by the errors encountered during BG:EE mods installation. Can't really check what exactly happen since you uploaded wrong file - it should have been setup-eet_core.debug

Although as mentioned there is no point installing further if you encountered any errors on BG:EE.

Question 2: If no errors occur during installation of BG1 mods, and no errors occur when I run "Setup-EET.exe", does that mean that the BG1-modding-part is over, or can BG1 mods still cause problems for BG2 mods further down the line?

Question 3: Do I need to run "setup-eet_core.exe" myself, or does "Setup_EET.exe" run "setup-eet_core.exe"?

Somewhere along the way, I appear to have installed a "BG2 FixPack". <-- I GOT ERRORS

this is a mod for vanilla BG2. It's not compatible with Enhanced Edition games at all. In fact it would mess up the game if it can be installed (not sure if there are GAME_IS checks there)

Yeah, I have no idea how that mod got there (unless it is really a different mod that creates a directory named something along the lines of BG2 FixPack).

After running Setup-EET_end.exe, I installed the following (EET-compatible) mods.

Quotes from the readme:

After the core component is installed, your game folder should then contain additional setup-EET_end.exe file, which is REQUIRED to be installed AFTER ALL OTHER MODS (at least after any mod that modifies dialogues, so for example EET Tweaks can be installed later, but to be sure always try to keep it at the end of your installation order, even if other readme files says otherwise).

Once the component is installed and you decide to integrate more mods you can safely uninstall it by running setup-EET_end.exe and than install it again once you are satisfied with your mod selection. No problems with reinstalling it too.

What should be the general install order?

The general mod install order looks like this:

1. Mods installed on BG:EE
  2. Initialise EET (setup-EET) installed on BG2:EE
  3. Mods with native EET support installed on top of EET
  4. Finalise EET (setup-EET_end) ends the whole EET installation

You can make an exception for GUI mods (including setup-EET_gui) and install them at the very end, even after setup-EET_end.

With the exception of "The Darkest Day" (I'm almost-certain I did not install that after "Setup-EET_end.exe"), all the mods I listed here are from part 3 of the modlist, which says

3. Mods that can be installed after EET on BG2:EE but MUST BE PATCHED FIRST

The way I interpreted that (and surrounding text) was I can install these mods after running "Setup-EET_end.exe".

Question 4: Are you saying that the mods in category 2 and 3 should be installed before running "Setup-EET_end.exe"? (and the category 3 mods need to be patched to make them EET-compatible)?

In other words you can delete whole installation since there are too many mistakes to fix it :( I'd suggest waiting for Big Word Setup tool (if you're a windows user) to be updated to work with EET before trying it again (not sure when it will be available though). This way you will be able to select all mods that interest you from a list and the tool will download, fix known bugs and install them in correct order.

I figured as much :/

By the way, I noticed that there is a lot of overlap in some of the mods, such as ones that

• change creature spawn rate
  • change the XP cap
  • change the amount of XP you get from monsters
  • change classes on NPCs
  • change banter frequency

What happens if I install multiple mods that change this? Will it be the last mod's change that will be in effect, or will I break things?

My general feedback from my experience this weekend (aimed at no one in particular):

1. there really, really needs to be a package manager for these mods.
    1. the package manager should be aware of the dependencies/conflicts of each mod ("Big World" knows this to some extent),
    2. adding/removing mods should never fail (and if they fail, should never break your system) (can errors break your setup?)
    3. (optional) all mods hosted in one mod repository, where it is easy to check for latest version in an automated manner (e.g. GitHub).

For 1.1, I wonder if the best approach is to create a script that tries to install every mod in any way and order, and see which mod modifies which aspects of the game, and which combinations (don't) break.

What happens if I install multiple mods that change this? Will it be the last mod's change that will be in effect, or will I break things?

The last one will take effect the most... the only way you can get something greatly broken is when you don't overwrite everything. Aka you leave something that has no base being there anymore.

(can errors break your setup?)

This actually depends on what you are asking ? You won't get the setup you made which breaks it ... but it might not BREAK the GAME, but it might as well as you won't have the setup you meant to make. Aka it's far better to know what the hell you are doing than not.

(optional) all mods hosted in one mod repository, where it is easy to check for latest version in an automated manner (e.g. GitHub).

Good luck on licking every single mod makers rear end on trying to do that... it won't happen. Trust me.

For 1.1, I wonder if the best approach is to create a script that tries to install every mod in any way and order, and see which mod modifies which aspects of the game, and which combinations (don't) break.

A .bat you mean.

Guess what ... the BWP/BWS etc have done this.. but there's 500 mods and 1500 mod components and 900 of those components do everything and your mom.

Question 4: Are you saying that the mods in category 2 and 3 should be installed before running "Setup-EET_end.exe"? (and the category 3 mods need to be patched to make them EET-compatible)?

Duh. Yes.

Question 1. If a mod fails to install, do I need to take my whole game directory and trash it, or will the installer only finalize the installation if no errors occur? I ask because, while using an installer to remove a mod seems to work pretty well, in the case where a bunch of parse errors occurred during installation, they also occurred during uninstallation, so I don't know if the installer actually installed anything, and if it did, whether the uninstaller removed it again.

Well if you have an error in the mods install, like the report says, it will automatically remove itself. That of course won't cause any further problems except it removes the content that was supposed to be added. Duh.

But asking others why it does this is usually as futile as asking them to install a faulty configuration of mods and get them to find a way to fix it. Usually it's no good for anyone. Especially with multiple mods.

Hei Jarno,

The last one will take effect the most... the only way you can get something greatly broken is when you don't overwrite everything. Aka you leave something that has no base being there anymore.

@ "the most": I don't quite follow. If one mod sets a level cap of 40 and another mod sets a level cap of 50, and I install both in some order, then (assuming the mods are not flawed and the installers ran to completion without error) the level cap will be either 40 or 50, not closer to 50 than 40.

@ "don't overwrite everything": I can see clearly how a partial install of a mod breaks things (e.g. if changes the mod uses are missing).

@ "leave something": That should be no problem; it's just dead code.

(can errors break your setup?)

This actually depends on what you are asking ? You won't get the setup you made which breaks it ... but it might not BREAK the GAME, but it might as well as you won't have the setup you meant to make. Aka it's far better to know what the hell you are doing than not.

What I am asking is basically my Question 1 again. I am trying to understand how WeiDU works, that is, what it does for you.

I am assuming that when a mod installer prepared with WeiDU encounters an error, then it will not-install / rollback / undo the mod installation (or at least the part of the mod installation that resulted in an error). But does such an installer do that for all kinds of errors? (parse errors? the installer being interrupted?)

It would be unfathomably frustrating to have installed mods for several hours, and then when installing one mod, an error occurs, and it breaks your setup in a manner that you cannot recover from, meaning you have to trash the game directory and start all over.

By "breaks your setup", I mean "not having the setup I meant to have". To me that is a broken game (even worse if the game starts, and everything looks fine, but after playing for 20 hours, you get stuck in a quest).

(optional) all mods hosted in one mod repository, where it is easy to check for latest version in an automated manner (e.g. GitHub).

Good luck on licking every single mod makers rear end on trying to do that... it won't happen. Trust me.

If I set out try to either gather all mods in one repository, or get the modders to use it, I do not anticipate I would need to do anything as graphic as licking rear ends.

The mod authors went through the effort of making their mod stable enough to be used by other players. They shared it. No one asked them to do this. They want their mods to be used by people. If they are maintaining their mods, they have an incentive to have the mod included in this repository (because that's where all other mods are stored, and it has a great package manager helping users install mods). If they are not maintaining their mod, they still want it to be used, and won't mind orphaning it and letting someone else take over maintaining it (or forking it).

I saw somewhere in a mod description a note discouraging others from hosting the mod on other websites, and asking the reader to not "steal" the code. My guess is that this is a mandate initiated when Baldur's Gate modding really took off (2003?) to try to maintain a measure of control; make sure it is clear where the latest version of a mod can be found (i.e. the only place that mod can be found on the web), and make sure there aren't 10s or 100s of mods all doing the same thing, which confuses players. And since web hosting was expensive back then, people would scatter the mods on dodgy free hosting websites. Now, hosting is cheap and easy. GitHub offers free public repositories; GitHub is very usable, and has a lot of tooling around it, meaning it is easy to write software that interacts with it.

A .bat you mean.
Guess what ... the BWP/BWS etc have done this.. but there's 500 mods and 1500 mod components and 900 of those components do everything and your mom.

For instance a .bat. I said "script" because it doesn't matter what language/tool is used to accomplish this task. I would personally write up something in Python, Haskel, or even Perl.

@ "BWP/BWS etc. have done this": How completely / rigorously? I haven't come across a dependency graph anywhere. I am sure there is something like that built into BWS. But how complete is it? Do they only add a dependency / conflict when one is reported?

I guess generating all possible installations is not really tractable; the number of EET-compatible mods alone is several orders of magnitute greater than the number of atoms in the universe (if each of those atoms was a universe, wherein each atom was a universe, then you'd get close). So the mods would need to be analyzed statically instead (e.g. for which files they modify) (which is doable).

Well if you have an error in the mods install, like the report says, it will automatically remove itself. That of course won't cause any further problems except it removes the content that was supposed to be added. Duh.
But asking others why it does this is usually as futile as asking them to install a faulty configuration of mods and get them to find a way to fix it. Usually it's no good for anyone. Especially with multiple mods.

@ "asking why it does this": I was not asking anyone why-anything; I'm just trying to understand how WeiDU installers work so I know how careful I need to be when trying to install a series of mods (e.g. do I need to take a backup of the game directory each time I try to add a mod, to avoid starting over if the mod installation fails?)

@ "automatically removes itself": Thank you; now I understand WeiDU installers better.

@ "BWP/BWS etc. have done this": How completely / rigorously? I haven't come across a dependency graph anywhere. I am sure there is something like that built into BWS. But how complete is it? Do they only add a dependency / conflict when one is reported.

Yes, here's the actual thread for that. For the mod maker. It becomes to then be part of these files and thus the BWS. After ALIEN has worked it over, if I am not wrong.

@ "the most": I don't quite follow. If one mod sets a level cap of 40 and another mod sets a level cap of 50, and I install both in some order, then (assuming the mods are not flawed and the installers ran to completion without error) the level cap will be either 40 or 50, not closer to 50 than 40.

Well the fact that you just use the term level cap of 50 actually would tell you that a triple multi class'ed chars level cap is what ? Most mods would assume it to be 150, not 50, or actually they set it to be -1, and then set the 51 level's xp to unreachable amount(again -1). But others might not and thus you already have multiple things that come from one factor.

Now then add the vanilla games 8 000 000 total xp cap which is close to the level cap of 40, so that component might not overwrite everything. Do it this way and if your 40th level mage levels up and gets to be a dullard with no spells at level 41 cause the file determining the how many they get to have was not updated, and as the engine assumes it to be 0, you get zero spells at level 41.

(even worse if the game starts, and everything looks fine, but after playing for 20 hours, you get stuck in a quest).

Well, in this case the quest is not the reason why you get stuck, it's (usually) because something was changed so that the quest cannot be completed, for example you can't kill the darn thing that you were sent to kill(cause they have the min1hp ring that's not ever removed). That's not the end of the world actually. Edited by Jarno Mikkola

A script on this thread, and possibly others, causes my browser to freeze, until the script debugger pops up and says:

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let the script continue.

Script: http://gibberlings3.net/forums…3rd_party/prettify/prettify.js:17

I have Firefox, and Windows 7.

I have firefox and windows 10 - message pops up occasionally since a few days - selecting *continue* on the message solves it for the current session.